Black Bean Soup Recipe
It’s the Weekend!
Time to get prepared for the week ahead. Do as much meal prepping as you can over the weekend so you don’t have to decide what you will eat next week. If you have time, you might marinate and grill the chicken breasts from Wednesday’s email or try this black bean soup recipe. It will keep for up to 3 days.
Black Bean Soup
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
- 3 cups water
- ½ cup prepared salsa
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 4 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add chili powder and cumin and cook, stirring, 1 minute more. Add beans, water, salsa and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in lime juice.
- Transfer half the soup to a blender and puree (use caution when pureeing hot liquids). Stir the puree back into the saucepan. Serve garnished with sour cream and cilantro, if desired.
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Garnish with sour cream and cilantro, if desired, just before serving.
- Serving size: about 1¼ cups
- Per serving: 206 calories and 10 grams of protein. Add a side salad with a little turkey/chicken to get to your 20 grams of protein.
Courtesy of eating well.Back to "Blog"